Bachelor of Science
Computer Science – Web Design
THIS WAY TO A DYNAMIC WEB PRESENCE
Do you have a favorite website that you often visit for news, research, shopping or entertainment? A web designer was responsible for providing you with that information by designing, building and implementing technical applications to create the website. Tiffin University’s web design program will teach you how to use technology to connect consumers and businesses in engaging and productive ways. You’ll hone your design and technical abilities. You’ll thrive in a creative and fulfilling career.
TU’s web design program is designed to provide students the practical knowledge and skills to build robust websites and web applications for desktop computers and mobile devices such as phones and tablets. The program was designed with the specific intent of producing students with strong skills in UX and visual design, marketing and programming. Students will learn to follow industry protocols and to use modern programming languages, database structures and frameworks to create, deploy and maintain websites and applications.
Students will have the opportunity to earn a number of industry certifications including the MCSA: Web Applications (Microsoft Certification). These nearly 20 certifications, partnered with a degree in computer science, will give you a clear competitive advantage when it comes to job placement.
Programmed for Success
- Study with professors who bring years of industry leadership and experience to the classroom.
- Work in an advanced computer science lab with the most up-to-date software environments and equipment.
- Acquire skills that will be vital in a variety of technical and non-technical roles.
- You’ll complete a required professional internship, and the opportunities in the field for internships are abundant.
- The TU School of Business is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
Preparing You for the Real World
This is a program that will prepare you in every way for the IT world. You’ll study with knowledgeable professors who bring years of IT experience. An industry-informed curriculum will prepare you to take industry certifications, which are built into the courses. And, along with computer and web design concepts, you’ll learn the basic skills of communication, organization, critical thinking and teamwork – soft skills that are critical to the success of any IT professional.
Additionally, Tiffin is an Amazon Web Services Academy, enabling us to provide a cloud-computing curriculum that prepares you to pursue industry-recognized certifications and in-demand cloud jobs. The curriculum is at the forefront of AWS Cloud innovation and will equip you with the skills you need to get hired in one of the fastest-growing industries.
A Practical, Professional Education
- Industry certifications are built into course work and you will be prepared for:
- Microsoft Client
- Network +
- Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)
- Certified Associate in Software Testing (CAST) or Certified Associate in Software Quality
- HTML5 Application Development Fundamentals
- Introduction to Programming Using Python
- Access Specialist
- Programming in C#
- A+ Certification
- Server+/Microsoft Server 2016
- Linux+ or RedHat Certification
- Cloud+/Microsoft Cloud
- CISCO CCNA
- Linux +
- AWS Cloud
- Tiffin is an Amazon Web Services Academy, enabling us to provide a cloud-computing curriculum that prepares you to pursue industry-recognized certifications and in-demand cloud jobs.
- Tiffin University is a Certiport Authorized Testing Center and a Pearson Vue Testing Center, enabling you to take most of the certification exams right on campus.
Active, Experiential Learning
In the web design program, you’ll learn by doing, as you combine web design concepts with hands-on practice. Most of our classes are hands-on, where you’ll actively work on projects based on in-class learning. You’ll work with the same equipment and software that is utilized in the industry. You’ll participate in a 150-hour professional internship, gaining valuable industry experience. You’ll see firsthand the industry at work through field trip visits. And, you’ll hear from accomplished IT professionals, who visit our campus to speak on current topics.
Bringing Knowledge to Practice
- In web classes, you’ll engage in project-based learning, working with real equipment and software.
- In your second-to-last course of the program, CST460 Research in Computer Science, you’ll focus on a project through the term, encompassing all areas of course work and putting knowledge into practice.
- In the final course, CST470 Internship, you’ll work professionally within an organization for a minimum of 150 hours gaining practical experience and learning what life is like working in the industry.
- Hands-on IT projects working with the local community are at times incorporated into course work.
- Clubs and organizations – such as the Tiffin University ACM (Association of Computing Machinery) Student Chapter, or what we call Technology Club – offer insights into real-world learning.
Courses & Format
General Education Core (37 hours)
Computer Science Core (3 hours per course, 48 hours Total)
- MKT151 Introductory Marketing
- CST155 Introduction to Operating Systems
- ACC210 Financial Accounting
- MGT201 Management of Organizations
- CST201 Introduction to Programming
- LAW211 Business Law I
- ECO222 Principles of Microeconomics
- CST230 Networking Fundamentals
- CDS244 Cyber Security
- CST280 Database I
- CST285 Spreadsheets and Analytics
- FIN301 Business Finance
- CST412 IT Project Management
- CST460 Research in Computer Science
- CST470 Internship
- MGT495 Organizational Strategy
Concentration: Web Design (3 hours per course, 21 hours total)
- ART325 Graphic Design
- CST255 Internet and Website Development
- DMD320 Web Design
- DMD134 Introduction to Digital Media
- WDM I User Experience I – Understanding the User Experience (RIZE)
- WDM II User Experience II – Building Compelling User Experience (RIZE)
- WDM III User Experience III – Capstone Project – Goal Oriented Web Design (RIZE)
Total BS hours = 127-135
This is a sample course sequence to illustrate course offerings for this major. Consult the official Academic Bulletin for detailed registration and advising information.
Introduction to Digital Media (DMD 134) – This course will provide an overview of digital media design. Students will gain introductory skills in photography, video production, and multimedia as they relate to visual problem solving. Additionally, students will explore potential professions within the field of digital media design.
Web Design (DMD 320) – In this course students develop a fully-functional e-portfolio website where their work in the digital media design program will be showcased for potential employers. Building upon web design skills from CIS 201 and CIS 255, students will make decisions related to layout, functionality, accessibility and hosting.
Graphic Design (ART 325) – This course will investigate the mechanics of visual perception using digital design tools. Focus will be on the formal properties of design including space, line, plane, mass, shape, texture, and color; and the organizational fundamentals of unity, balance, rhythm, and movement. Students will prepare and produce a series of digital design projects that are relevant to professional practices. Emphasis will be given to the principles of planning and visual thinking needed to communicate ideas. Problem solving on an individual and group level will be stressed.
On Campus – Offered in a 15-week semester format with start dates of January and August
All Computer Science concentrations offered:
Employment of web designers is projected to increase as e-commerce continues to grow. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the number of web designer jobs will grow over 200 percent faster than the national average in 2018 through 2028. Web designers can work in many different areas. They can be self-employed, work in medium- to large-size organizations or pursue consulting. The field can be limited to basic design, or expand into marketing, advertising and publishing.
- Applications Developer
- Multimedia programmer
- Multimedia specialist
- Technical Project/Program Manager
- UX designer
- UX researcher
- Web Administrator
- Web Designer
- Web Developer
WHERE TU GRADS HAVE WORKED
- Cooper Tire
- First Energy
- Local school districts
Have a Question?
School of Science, Technology and Health
- School Overview
- Undergraduate Programs
- Business Intelligence and Analytics
- Computer Science – Network & Systems Administration
- Computer Science – Software Development
- Computer Science – Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS)
- Computer Science – Video Game Design
- Computer Science – Web Design
- Digital Forensics
- Exercise Science
- Forensic Science
- Graduate Programs
- Dual Enrollment Program
- Artificial Intelligence and Data Science Center
- Center for Cyber Defense & Forensics
- Academic Calendar & Bulletin
- Undergraduate Minors
- Meet the Faculty
- The Center for Tiffin University and Dragon Core Curriculum
We’re here for you
155 Miami Street
Tiffin, OH 44883
At a Glance
- Professors bring years of industry experience
- Industry certifications built into course work
- Tiffin University is an Amazon Web Services Academy
- Access to advanced computer science lab
- Required professional internship
- Required professional internship
“There is always going to be a little doubt in any person’s mind when it comes to new things. But for me, I think proving people, who said I couldn’t do it, wrong is my biggest motivation. There’s really nothing that seems impossible to me anymore. The world is constantly changing and I feel like I am much more capable of adapting to those changes now compared to when I was walking on to TU’s campus for the first time.”
Class of 2018
More About Our School
- School of Business Faculty Member Winds Long Road to Tiffin
- Tiffin University Business Students Score Above National Average on Peregrine Exam
- Student Scholar All-Stars – Tiffin University Hosts the Annual Academic Honors Ceremony
- Tiffin University Names Dr. Thomas Marben as Dean of Business School
- Tiffin University School of Business to Host Annual Summit to Success