Tiffin University’s groundbreaking bachelor’s degree program in business intelligence and analytics enables our graduates to unlock the power of data for business success.
In today’s fast-paced and interconnected world, data has become the lifeblood of businesses across industries. The ability to analyze vast amounts of information and extract actionable insights has become crucial for making informed decisions and gaining a competitive edge.
TU’s Business Intelligence and Analytics (BIA) program is designed to meet the growing demand for skilled professionals who can harness the power of data to drive organizational success. Whether you envision yourself revolutionizing business strategies, optimizing operations or uncovering hidden trends, our comprehensive curriculum will equip you with the necessary knowledge and practical skills to excel in the field of business intelligence and analytics.
Throughout your academic journey, you will dive deep into the intricacies of data mining, statistical analysis, data visualization, predictive modeling and more. You will gain hands-on experience through real-world projects, internships and collaborations with industry-leading organizations. Our expert faculty, with extensive industry experience, will guide you every step of the way, ensuring you develop the expertise and critical thinking skills required in today’s data-driven business landscape.
At Tiffin University, we believe in the power of experiential learning. Our state-of-the-art facilities and advanced analytics labs provide the perfect environment for you to explore and apply the latest tools and techniques in data analysis. Through interactive classroom sessions, workshops, and industry guest lectures, you will acquire a holistic understanding of the challenges and opportunities that lie within the realm of business intelligence and analytics.
Upon graduation, you will be well-equipped to pursue diverse career paths in fields such as data analysis, business intelligence, consulting, finance, marketing and more. The demand for professionals who can turn data into actionable insights continues to rise, and with a degree in business intelligence and analytics from Tiffin University, you will be prepared to make a lasting impact in the world of business.
The business intelligence and analytics program at Tiffin University prepares students to display skills in data analysis and programming and apply their interpretation of collected data to help businesses understand trends, solve business problems and measure performance. Through this data, students will be able to assess company needs and create reports and visual presentations to assist corporate decision-makers in evaluating possible areas of improvement, expansion or upgrades – across many industries, including healthcare, manufacturing, technology, finance and engineering.
Business intelligence and analytics is a high-growth field. Advancing technology, increasing accessibility and improving benefits are some of the main factors driving the growth of the business intelligence market, accentuating the need for business intelligence analysts. Data security will become a major concern for business intelligence users and providers in the near future and data scientists will likely experience role shifts but will remain vital to the operation of the business intelligence industry.
Preparing You for the Real World
Tiffin University’s BIA program prepares students with knowledge and skills that are directly applicable for the field.
Business skills include:
- Excellent communication and presentation skills in order to share recommendations often based on highly technical data with colleagues in an approachable, easily digestible way.
- Superior leadership abilities to brainstorm and collaborate with team members.
- Creative problem-solving skills and critical thinking.
- Ability to work within a diverse, global workforce oriented around customer satisfaction.
- Gain skills in making data-informed decisions by evaluating different options, considering risks and benefits and understanding the impact on business outcomes.
- Acquire a deep understanding of business principles, including finance, marketing, operations and supply chain management.
- Learn the fundamentals of project management to effectively plan, execute and monitor data analytics projects. Develop skills in setting goals, managing resources and meeting project deadlines.
- Understand the ethical implications of data analytics and ensure responsible and ethical use of data. Learn about privacy regulations, data governance, and best practices for handling sensitive information.
Technical skills include:
- Database design and data architecture
- Data mining and analytics
- Machine learning
- Develop proficiency in programming languages commonly used in data analytics, such as Python and R
- Data security and privacy
- Data visualization, including tools such as Tableau and Qlik
- Handle all variants of Structured Query Language (SQL)
- Proficient in ETL (extract, transform, load)
- Understand which situations need Hadoop, R and SAS – and use these effectively
- Cloud computing and data storage technology (Google’s BigQuery and Amazon’s Redshift)
- Big data technologies
The business intelligence and analytics program at TU will also prepare students to pass the most important certifications that could help start or advance a career as a business intelligence analyst that include:
- Certified Analytics Professional (CAP)
- PMI Professional in Business Analytics (PBA)
- IIBA Certification in Business Data Analytics (CBDA)
- IIBA Certified Business Analysis Professional (CBAP)
- IIBA Certification of Competency in Business Analysis (CCBA)
- Certified Business Intelligence Professional (CBIP)
- Microsoft Certified: Azure Data Engineer Associate
- Tableau Desktop Specialist/Associate
- Qlik Sense Business Analyst Certification
- Oracle Business Intelligence Certification
- SAS Certified BI Content Developer for SAS 9
- IBM Certified Designer: IBM Cognos Analytics Author V11
Active, Experiential Learning
Our students have hands-on experience with business intelligence and analytics, through real-world projects, internships and collaborations with industry-leading organizations. This includes:
- Case studies
- Data analytics projects
- Industry collaborations
- Data visualization workshops
- Data hackathons
- Guest speakers and industry talks
- Data exploration and visualization labs
- Participate in business intelligence and analytics simulations
- Team projects
- Internships and industry placements
Courses & Format
Courses & Format
- ACC 210 Financial Accounting
- ECO 222 Principles of Microeconomics
- FIN 301 Business Finance
- LAW 211 Business Law I
- MKT 151 Introductory Marketing
- MGT 201 Principles of Management
- MGT 495 Organizational Strategy
- MGT 221 Supply Chain Management
- MKT 370 Digital Marketing
- MKT 432 Social Media Marketing
Business Intelligence and Analytics Core
- CST 285 Spreadsheet Applications & Data Analysis for Decision Making
- CST 312 Information Systems for Managers
- BIA 273 Applied Business Statistics
- MAT 287 Discrete Mathematics
- BIA 290 Introduction to Artificial Intelligence
- BIA 300 Data Analysis and Business Modeling
- BIA 299 Data Mining for Decision Making
- BIA 305 Business Analytics
- BIA 420 Big Data Analytics in Business
- CST 201 Introduction to Programming
- CST 301 Advanced Programming Concepts
- CST 280 Database
- CST 380 Database II
- BIA 400 Machine learning for Business Modeling
- BIA 410 Data Visualization for BI
- CST 412 IT Project Management
- BIA 460 Capstone Project
- BIA 470 Internship
This is a sample course sequence to illustrate course offerings for this major. Consult the official Academic Bulletin for detailed registration and advising information.
BIA 273 Applied Business Statistics – This course introduces students to descriptive and inferential statistics for use in business-related applications. Measures of central tendency and dispersion, simple probability, data analysis, and statistical inference are examined. The use of computer software for analyzing statistical data is addressed.
BIA 300 Data Analysis and Business Modeling – This course is designed to introduce the concept of business analytics. Analytics helps businesses make better decisions by using sound judgment and data. This is a skill development class that explores how statistics are used in business. Students in this course develop a specialized skill set used in a variety of roles within an organization.
BIA 299 Business Analytics – This course examines methods that have been studied in previous Business Intelligence major courses and those from the business core proven to be of value in recognizing patterns and making predictions from an applications perspective. Course learning involves utilizing a variety of software to aid in the review of analytical cases to improve understanding of enterprise-level analytics. Students build a data warehouse, using data profiling and qualityskills, and lifecycle models introduced in the course.
BIA 400 Machine Learning for Business Modeling – This course covers the Machine Learning process in Python, reinforcing concepts from Python fundamentals. Students will learn how to create predictive classification models for business, fine-tune and test the process, and how to interpret the results.
On Campus – Offered in a 15-week semester format with start dates of January and August
In the last few years, Business Intelligence and Analytics has become a highly in-demand job across the globe. In the United States, a business intelligence and data analyst’s salary is significantly higher than that of other software-related professions.
According to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics, the job market for business intelligence analysts is expected to grow by 11% from 2021 to 2031. The Bureau also states that business intelligence analysts median pay in 2021 was $93,000 per year. From 2020 to 2030, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects an increase of 14% for business analyst positions, with 907,600 net new jobs expected during that 10-year period.
- Accessibility Specialist
- Business Intelligence Analyst
- Business Intelligence Data Modeler
- Business Intelligence Developer
- Business Intelligence Project Manager
- Business Intelligence Specialist
- Business Performance Analyst
- Data analyst- Business Intelligence
- Data Engineer
- Data Governance Specialist
- Data Scientist
- Data Visualization Specialist
- E-commerce Specialist
- Information Management Program Manager
- Software Consultant
- SQL Server Business Intelligence
Have a Question?
School of Science, Technology And Health
- School Overview
- Undergraduate Programs
- Business Intelligence and Analytics
- Computer Science – Network & Systems Administration
- Computer Science – Software Development
- Computer Science – Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS)
- Computer Science – Video Game Design
- Computer Science – Web Design
- Digital Forensics
- Exercise Science
- Forensic Science
- Graduate Programs
- Dual Enrollment Program
- Artificial Intelligence and Data Science Center
- Center for Cyber Defense & Forensics
- Academic Calendar & Bulletin
- Undergraduate Minors
- Meet the Faculty
- The Center for Tiffin University and Dragon Core Curriculum
We’re here for you
155 Miami Street
Tiffin, OH 44883
At a Glance
- Preparation for graduate or professional school
- Faculty bring vast knowledge and professional experience
- Small class sizes make possible individualized learning
- Hands-on experience with research-grade equipment
“There is always going to be a little doubt in any person’s mind when it comes to new things. But for me, I think proving people, who said I couldn’t do it, wrong is my biggest motivation. There’s really nothing that seems impossible to me anymore. The world is constantly changing and I feel like I am much more capable of adapting to those changes now compared to when I was walking on to TU’s campus for the first time.”
Class of 2018
More About Our School
- Student Scholar All-Stars – Tiffin University Hosts the Annual Academic Honors Ceremony
From Dragon Nation to Hoosier Country – Zachary Tomlinson’s Acceptance into a Chemistry
Ph.D. Program at Notre Dame
- A Dragon Dental Student – Amanda Fire’s TU Story
- Tiffin University Recognizes Faculty Excellence
- Real World-Ready – Brooklyn Kreilick’s Experience with the Tiffin Innovation Program and Beyond